Monday, January 7, 2013
At home we shopped for months in advance and purchased almost 6 months to 1 year of spices. I am going to write more later, but now this is just a introduction.
Sunday, January 6, 2013
|My Visit to Lahore Fort, Lahore Pakistan|
|My chicken corn soup. Yummy!|
Half of chicken with bones
Hot boiling water
2 1/2 tsp salt or salt to taste
1 1/2 chinese salt, MSG which I do not have and I did not use****
1 Can of Whole corn
Corn Flour and 1/2 water mix together
*** I believe she add one package, but I just do it slowly. Slowly add the corn flour and wait atleast 1 minute to see how thick it becomes, do not add all at once just add very slowly and come back after a few minutes, you do not want it to be too thick****
- Take boiling hot water and add the chicken and salt
- Boil the chicken until cooked or slightly cook about 10 minutes in pressure cooker
- Remove the chicken and let cool down
- After the chicken is cooled enough then remove from the bone and break into small pieces add it too the boiling water
- You can choose to keep the corn whole or blend it I have done both ways, My husband likes it whole
- Add the corn to water with chicken and mix
- Take two eggs and mix together yoke and egg white and slowly mix into soup, with chicken and corn
- Let it cook and thicken
- Congrats Your Pakistani Chicken Corn Soup is Ready to Serve!
For the green chilies, cut them and take out the seeds if you choose. Allow them to sit in white vinegar at least a night before you cook your soup. I do not eat my soup with vinegar but my Husband does. I did not make the red chili sauce but you can.
This is a simple, easy, super delicious recipe!
|Moroccan Fish Bastilla served with Spring rolls with bastilla filling, Tamarind sauce, salad|
Ingredients of the Filling:
1/2 pound of squid
1/2 pound of white fish (tilapia, cat fish, etc.)
*** I used just fish and Shrimp no Squid***
1/2 pound of peeled shrimp
1 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice
4 oz of chinese vermicelli
*** I had no Vermicelli so I used Roman Noddles lol***
1/2 teaspoon of crushed garlic
A large pinch of saffron
1 teaspoon of paprika
1/4 teaspoon of cumin
Red chili pepper (to taste)
1 teaspoon of salt (to taste)
1/4 teaspoon of pepper (to taste)
Ingredients for the wrap:
Spring roll pastry
2 egg yolks
4 tablespoons of butter
Steps to prepare the filling:
***Remember I did not Squid just frozen fish and shrimp*** 1- Cut the squid and white fish into small pieces.
2- Boil the squid pieces in water for 15 minutes before adding the white fish and shrimp to boil for another 10 minutes.
3- Remove the squid, fish, and shrimp from the water and reserve.
4- Put the chinese vermicelli to boil in the same water where the fish was boiled. Remove the vermicelli from the water after 5 minutes, drain it from excess water, and reserve.
5- On medium heat, melt the butter in a cooking pan. Add the fish, spices, parsley, and lemon juice. Mix all the ingredients and let them cook for the next 15 minutes while constantly stirring.
6- Add the chinese vermicelli to the fish mixture and mix well. Cut the vermicelli into smaller pieces with your spoon.
Spices and Spring Roll Wrapping
Steps to wrap the Bastila:1- Place the spring roll pastries around you baking dish with 1/3 of the pastries hanging from the edges of the dish (see video). Place 1 or 2 spring roll pastries in the center of the baking dish.
2- Brush the pastries with melted butter and brush the edges with egg yolk.
3- Place the filling in the center of the baking dish and bring the pastry edges to the center.
4- Cover the top of the Bastila with 2 spring roll pastries and tuck in their edges. Brush with melted butter and egg yolk.
5- Bake the Bastila for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
Serving:Broil the Bastila for 1 minute before serving and decorate with shrimp, parsley leaves, and lemon slices. Enjoy!
Fresh simple salad tomatoes, lettuce, lemon, green onions, cucumbers, no dressing.
Thank you Enjoy!
This is crazy delicious! Wonderful arab/african food recipe.
I have cooked it twice. Using just frozen fish!
Video and list of ingredients needed!
Detailed Recipe Here!
It is healthy way to get full servings of vegetables! My husband loved it!
Here the ingredients from Alia websites, I noted the changes I made!
- 1 whole cleaned striped bass (or any other whole fish of your 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro *** I Used frozen fish from Walmart
- 2 medium potatoes - peeled and sliced ***** I used Zucchini and Squash No Potatoes
- 1 green pepper - cut into small strips
- 1 cup of baby carrots
- 1 tomato - sliced
- 1 lemon - sliced
- Charmoula (Moroccan marinade):
- 1/2 cup of chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce ***** I used tomato paste and I used red chili also
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper (to taste)
- Wash the fish with salt and lemon, then rinse it with water. Make 3 deep cuts on the fish.
- Mix all the ingredients of the chamoula in a bowl.
- In a baking pan place the potato slices. Put the fish on top or the potatoes.
- Cover the fish (from the top and inside) with half of the charmoula.
- Place the rest of the vegetables around and on top of the fish. Pour the rest of the charmoula over the vegetables.
- Cover the fish with aluminum paper and let it bake in the oven at 350 F for 1 hour.